BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mom's Little Helpers

I unplugged the tv, turned on some fun music, and started cleaning.  Within about 15 minutes, I had the young ones at my feet wanting to help.  I gave the one and two year olds each a Swiffer Duster (because they're fun and there are no chemicals to worry about) and let them dust the living room furniture.  My older son sorted laundry and then helped me clean the kitchen.  After a half-hour, my kitchen was clean, the laundry was ready to be washed and the living room...looked like it had been cleaned by toddlers.  We all took a well deserved break and enjoyed some milk and graham crackers.


Running a large household requires help from all of its members.  I know I cannot do it all myself, there is just too much.  So, I must raise "helpers".  Little kids are eager to please and want to do what you're doing.  I realize that the living room will not be dusted thoroughly, but that is not my goal.  My goal is to get them to participate.  Some chores may take twice as long as they would if you were doing them by yourself, but you are planting seeds of productivity.  The kids love spending time with me and feeling helpful.

Tapping into their desire to help when they are young will make them good housemates when they grow up.  My Mother-In-Law believed this and now my husband is takes initiative with household chores.  (He even made it into a successful business!)

Great chores for kids:  (1)Set the table/clear it.  (2)Bring empty garbage cans up to the house on garbage day.  (3)Help with laundry by teaching them to sort the colors before washing.  And, take the folded clothes to the right rooms.  (4)Organize the tupperware cupboard by letting them find the matching lids for all the different shaped pieces.  (5)Take a water dampened cloth and let them wipe the baseboards.  

Tips:  (1)Keep the chores age appropriate and safe.  (2)Don't over-do the workload.  (3)Play music they like to keep the mood light and fun.  (4)Praise them for their efforts.  High fives and big smiles are wonderful motivators!

My thoughts on $allowance:  I expect everyone to participate in a certain level of household chores because they live here.  Clean your room, put your clothes in the laundry room.  Clean up your messes.  Beyond that, I do pay my teen step-daughters and my oldest son for additional chores.  The amount you choose to pay should depend on your budget and the time it will take the complete the tasks.  Remember, you are setting a precedent.  They will remember what they were paid in the past, so be consistent.

One friend of mine uses a reward system with charts and stickers.  When the chart is full of stickers, they get to choose a family activity or have a trip to the toy store.  This is a great tool and works well for her family.

Don't underestimate your child's abilities.  They just may surprise you, if you let them.  Even the mundane chores you have to do everyday may be "together time" in disguise.  Please comment here with suggestions of what your kids do to help around the house and what works for your families.  Thanks!


1 comments:

Christa @ Quintooples said...

Oh my goodness. We were JUST talking about starting allowances for Reagan and Ethan. When I asked Reagan what she thought was fair she ACTUALLY said (at 5 years old mind you...) I think $10 a week is fair. Then I could buy 2 ponies a week! (My Little Pony). I told her she would have to talk to daddy, because we were thinking 1/2 that much. SHE CALLED JOSH AT WORK and said, "Daddy. I think I need $10 a week for awowance."

I thought Josh was going to die of laughter....I found out later that HIS thought was ONE dollar a week.

Reagan's reply...
"Too much work for only one DOLLAR!"

How things have changed in 25 years.....

LOL.